The Board of Trustees, and Ms. Brown, have announced a search for a new Head of School for the 2021-2022 school year, with the assistance of a NYSAIS consultant. Saratoga Independent School is a fully accredited private day school serving PreK-8th grade students in Saratoga Springs and the greater Capital Region.
To facilitate the search process, the Board of Trustees has created a Search Committee comprised of Trustees, faculty, staff, and Parent Association members. Catherine LoMonico, current Trustee and former Board President will Chair the Search Committee. Ms. LoMonico has 30 years of private and public education teaching, administrative, and consulting experience and currently runs Saratoga Curriculum Consulting, LLC.
Before you apply for the Head of School position at Saratoga Independent School, we hope you’ll take time to read our Position Statement. You’ll find important information about our mission, philosophy, and history. We also hope you will take the time to review of Head of School Search FAQs to find answers to some common questions.
Head Of School Job Description
- Provide enthusiastic leadership in shaping and implementing Saratoga Independent School’s program, school culture, mission, and strategic goals;
- Be a visual presence in all areas of school life and an ambassador for the school in the wider community;
- Understand, embrace, preserve, and enrich the school’s unique culture while also strengthening the curriculum and extracurricular programming;
- Sustain a strong, positive culture among the teaching faculty that includes hiring, retaining, reviewing, and implementing systems for providing teacher feedback, professional growth, and student support;
- Provide effective, inspirational leadership and management in the hiring, retaining, developing and supporting of a skilled administrative team that is deeply invested in the success of the school;
- Act as the primary interface to the parent community, including working with faculty and staff in the recruitment of prospective students and retaining current students, with the goal of building strong and balanced enrollment, with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Work closely with marketing and development teams to develop and implement successful fundraising strategies to support our operations;
- Fully develop, understand and oversee the annual operating budget including the short and long-term financial responsibilities of the school in working with the Director of Finance;
- Provide oversight, supervision, and personal engagement in the facility, campus, and maintenance of a strong community life for Saratoga Independent School on behalf of students, faculty, staff, and families, and help guide and support the work of the Parent Association;
- Work in partnership with the Board of Trustees by participating in Board and committee meetings, and presenting monthly reports at Board meetings;
- Work with the Board of Trustees to ensure the development and implementation of appropriate policies for the long-term management and success of the school;
- Direct the school’s academic program and health and safety measures in a swift, thoughtful and confident manner relating to the coronavirus pandemic. Potential needs may include adjustments to the curriculum, instruction, and methods for student assessment, ensuring sufficient learning technology is in place for a seamless transition to remote learning, allocation of staff, working with the Director of Finance to reallocate resources as needed, and adopting and implementing health and safety protocols with the Director of Operations and school nurse;
- Complete an annual written self-evaluation identifying high-priority goals and steps to achieve them;
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the school’s accreditation committee for the NYSAIS accreditation process;
- Work with the Board of Trustees, faculty and staff to implement the National Association of Schools Principles of Good Practice in all school operations, including marketing, admissions, financial aid, hiring practices, fundraising, environmental sustainability, equity and justice, and global citizenship, among others;
- Manage the school in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Master’s Degree, or Doctoral Degree, preferably in Education, Business or Organizational Development
- 5+ years of experience as a classroom educator, ideally in a PreK-8 independent school setting
- Significant experience in administration/leadership and working with a Board of Trustees
- Strong business and financial judgment, advancement and development skills, and the ability to partner with staff and governance leaders in establishing solutions to financial challenges.
- Cover letter
- Educational philosophy statement
- Three references
Saratoga Independent School believes in providing equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual preference or orientation, veteran status, medical condition, or any other legally protected class or status recognized by federal, state, or local law.